Monday, December 9, 2019

Windows 7 installed on a separate drive won't boot from GRUB

Just installed Ubuntu MATE on my machine at work, as a dual boot (was planning on keeping Windows as I have to occasionally write C#, although I'm a Linux user).


GRUB will boot into Ubuntu fine but not Windows 7. When I try to boot into Windows 7 the screen goes crazy and freezes, sorta half grey half black.


My work system is a 250gb SSD with a 1TB HDD. Windows is installed on the SSD. When I installed ubuntu, it would only let me install on the HDD. So i gave 500GB of that to Ubuntu installation.


My BIOS will only let me select the SSD as a boot drive, and won't let me use the HDD as a boot drive.


I'm tempted to edit the Windows GRUB boot entry and remove chain loader and replace with ntdlr - will this work?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...