Monday, December 16, 2019

apt - Removing Chrome



I am having trouble getting Google Chrome off my system. I installed from Google's website (probably a bad idea) and it appeared to work, but I was never able to launch the program. Any time I do any apt-get operations, I get the following at the end:




$ sudo apt-get install -f
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up google-chrome-stable (46.0.2490.71-1) ...
xdg-icon-resource: size argument must be numeric
Try 'xdg-icon-resource --help' for more information.

dpkg: error processing package google-chrome-stable (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
google-chrome-stable
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)


I had resorted to manually deleting files (again, bad idea I am aware), and it looks to me like the lack of an icon that I deleted is causing problems. I have tried everything to delete, reinstall and delete, purge etc. but I simply can't fix this error.



Try reinstall, using the .deb with sudo dpkg -i or using sudo apt-get install --reinstall google-chrome-stable.




Then update your system with sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.



Then purge Chrome: sudo apt-get purge google-chrome-stable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...