Monday, December 16, 2019

drivers - Ubuntu 15.04 ATI Radeon graphics Issue



I installed Ubuntu 15.04 on my Dell Inspiron with ATI Radeon HD 7730M graphics card. I was under the impression that Ubuntu will use my graphics card as default graphics device but it does not seem so.



In Details section of System setting I see the following:



Graphics: Intel® Ivybridge Mobile



But in additional drivers I see this as enabled and recommended:



Using X.Org X Server - AMD/ATI display driver wrapper from xserver-xorg-video-ati(open source, tested)


Output of lshw is as follows:



dataslayer@ds-Inspiron-7520:~$sudo lshw -c video
*-display

description: VGA compatible controller
product: 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 09
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0

resources: irq:31 memory:c1000000-c13fffff memory:b0000000-bfffffff ioport:4000(size=64)


This says that driver is i915 which I suppose are Intel drivers.



I need some help in setting up my system to use ATI graphics card instead of Intel's graphics.



I have not installed fglrx yet and do not intend to do so unless absolutely necessary.



Thanks for any kind of help.




You need to install AMD proprietary drivers.



sudo apt-get install fglrx


Then you will be able to switch adapters in Catalyst Control Center or in terminal by:



sudo aticonfig --px-dgpu



to AMD, or



sudo aticonfig --px-igpu


to Intel.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...