Thursday, December 19, 2019

How To Install Ubuntu Server 14.04 Offline

I am having trouble installing Ubuntu Server 14.04 to a PC I am trying to use as a NAS. I have a router for my LAN but no internet access where I live. Without internet I can't connect to an image archive during the initial installation steps.


Even without the Ethernet cable plugged into the NAS the installer tries to detect an Ethernet link and fails. When it fails I have the option of manually configuring a connection or skipping network config until later.


I have tried skipping network config and the installer still wants me to enter an Ubuntu archive mirror. I cannot seem to get passed this point in the install. I have verified the hash and attempted the install using both Ubuntu server 14.1 x64 and 14.04 x64 .iso's to no avail.


I have come across several tutorials and forum posts with people having similar issues but none quite like this one. Every one says to just skip network configuration and it will let you continue but I am not having the same results.


Is there any way to bypass choosing an archive mirror during installation? Or do I need to to try an older version? Its hard but not impossible for me seek out a legacy version to see if the network configuration step can be skipped in an earlier release.


Update: I finally came across the notice regarding updating to 14.04 requiring internet access to an apt repository. I assume that this applies to doing a fresh install as well. I guess I will need to find an older version to install.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...