Friday, December 13, 2019

windows - How can I "reboot into" the non-default operating system in a dual-boot configuration?


When I need to use Windows, I:



  1. Reboot

  2. Wait for the Grub boot menu to appear

  3. Choose the Windows menu item in Grub


Is there a way to just "reboot into" Windows so that I don't have to stay at the computer and guide it to the right operating system? i.e. Can I set the default menu item in Grub for just the next boot?



This tutorial solves this problem: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/10/how-to-reboot-in-windows-from-ubuntu.html


From the aforementioned tutorial:



3. Now to reboot Ubuntu in Windows or some other OS, run the following
command: sudo grub-reboot X


where X is the menuentry position
(starting with 0 as the first entry)
of the OS you want to restart in from
the GRUB menu. So if Windows is the
4th option in the GRUB menu, you would
run "sudo grub-reboot 3". You can also
use the exact menu entry instead of
the menuentry position (like "Windows
7 (on /dev/sda1)") but entering just a
number should be easier to remember.
The grub-reboot will set the default
boot entry for the next boot only
.



No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...