Wednesday, December 25, 2019

boot - How to hide grub unless key is pressed?

I have 2 OSs Windows 8 and Kubuntu 16.04. Kubuntu is my primary OS.
I would like my laptop to boot directly into Kubuntu, unless I press SHIFT key during boot to make Grub menu visible.
Again. I want grub menu with OSs list visible, only when I press SHIFT or any other key during boot.



I followed instructions in Hide GRUB2 menu UNLESS you hold down Shift key: how to make this happen? and it didn't work as I wanted.




I don't even want to feel that the grub is there, so the following values are required.



GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0.0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0.0


Apparently linux doesn't give you the freedom it tells you it does. Because if it did /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober wouldn't change the timeout on its own.



if [ "\${timeout}" = 0 ]; then    

set timeout=10


Is there any easy way to achieve what I want? Thanks in advance.



EDIT:



It does not work.
Additionaly according to
info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'




'GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT'
Wait this many seconds before displaying the menu. If is
pressed during that time, display the menu and wait for input
according to 'GRUB_TIMEOUT'. If a hotkey associated with a menu
entry is pressed, boot the associated menu entry immediately. If
the timeout expires before either of these happens, display the
menu for the number of seconds specified in 'GRUB_TIMEOUT' before
booting the default entry.


If you set 'GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT', you should also set
'GRUB_TIMEOUT=0' so that the menu is not displayed at all unless
is pressed.

This option is unset by default, and is deprecated in favour of the
less confusing 'GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=countdown' or
'GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden'.


I set GRUB_TIMEOUT=5 and GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=3 and grub menu is shown for... 3 seconds!?




Clearly people behind grub, screwed it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...