Thursday, December 8, 2016

ati - Why does the AMD Proprietary graphics driver not support old cards?

I've got a rather old notebook with an AMD ATI 3200 graphics card inside. Now I use XUbuntu 13.04 on it and found out that there is no support for this chipset anymore, due to some X.org conflicts.
But before that I used Manjaro (user-friendly arch derivate), where my graphics card got automatically dedected and the proprietary driver was used, I even got the catalyst control center.
Right now I am trying to create the package myself with the download from the AMD website but I don't think that will work. Has anybody got an idea why I can't use the driver on Ubuntu, what I can do to use it and if it's a bad idea to create the package myself with the newest package from the website?


EDIT: Ok, got a solution now: Simply use this repo, which downgrades your x-server to 1.12.4, which enables you to install the proprietary drivers.
According to the launchpad site, do this:


sudo add-apt-repository ppa:makson96/fglrx
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install fglrx-legacy

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...