Monday, December 12, 2016

apt - Problems with 12.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS upgrade

I decided to upgrade from 12.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS. I used do-release-upgrade. Everything worked.


When I run lsb_release -a I get :


Description : Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
Release : 14.04
Codename : trusty

I think at this moment, the upgrade is a success. But, I have these problems :



  1. There's a loop when I try to login to my desktop session. cat ~/.xsession-errors gave me :


    Unable to get name "org.gnome.zeitgeist.datahub" on the bus!

    On LightDM I still see Ubuntu 12.04 LTS


  2. I cannot install anything that could help me solve the problem above. When I run apt-get -f install I get :


    ...
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    ubuntu-release-upgrader-core
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    ubuntu-release-upgrader-core
    ...
    E: Could not open file descriptor -1
    ...
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)


When I try apt-get upgrade, it asks me at the end to run apt-get -f install.


(How) can this be fixed?


Update


To resolve the second issue, I proceeded this way : mv /etc/update-manager/release-upgrade /etc/update-manager/release-upgrade.back then dpkg -i --force-overwrite ubuntu-release-upgrader-core*.deb . At last, apt-get -f install worked. Now the challenge will be the desktop access.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...