Sunday, December 18, 2016

stuck in login ubuntu 14.04 after trying everything

I can't get past the login screen via GUI. After I enter the password, it takes me back to the same screen in 2 seconds. I don't see my usual background/wallpaper, just the stock purple screen. Things I've tried:




  • I CAN log in via command line (ALT+CTL+F3)

  • Tried replacing .Xauthority file and running chown on it

  • /tmp has correct properties (drwxrwxrwt)

  • checked .xsession-errors file, nothing obvious there (though it's possible I missed something)

  • tried purging sources.list file

  • reinstalled lightdm multiple times

  • installed Ubuntu-desktop several times


  • reinstalled Unity and ubuntu-gnome-desktop

  • I AM able to create additional users but I am NOT able to get past the login screen regardless of who the user is.



I'm out of ideas, short of doing a clean install of Ubuntu. Please help?



EDIT: this is not a new system install question. I've been using Ubuntu for over a year without problems. I did a normal set of apt-get update upgrade and dist-upgrade over the weekend and now I can't login for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...