Sunday, December 18, 2016

boot - Can't access recovery mode, for dual booting comp, by holding shift

I used Wubi to install Ubuntu without a CD or USB.
I cannot get my (username - password) combination to work even though I'm 100% sure I typed them in correctly when installing via Wubi. I read this password-non-recognition is a common issue with wubi and that I can find out my username and password through some command line thing within recovery mode. I have a dual-booted setup with windows 7 and Ubuntu in separate partitions. So when trying to access recovery mode I hold down the left-shift-key as soon as a press enter when choosing "ubuntu" as my operating system. When I do this, nothing happens and I load in to the login screen (after around 15 seconds).



I cannot get to the screen that lets my choose to boot in recovery mode (I think this screen is called GRUB?) I read that "Boot-Repair" might somehow fix this issue, but I do not have access to a USB or CD that I can use to install "Boot-Repair."



Any ideas where I can go from here?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...