Wednesday, December 14, 2016

networking - Internet is not working on VM - Black Screen - Ubuntu 13.04/16.04 Guest and Windows 10 Host


I am a Windows user and I followed these steps to install Ubuntu 13.04 32-bit on my Windows 10 64-bit:


Then I Start the machine, and it asks me for the location of the .iso file. I submit and it starts the setup. After some time, it finished and asks for restart.


Problem:


After it asks me for the login credentials, it pops several errors about needed updates but internet is not working. If I ignore(which I have no choice), I get full black screen:


enter image description here


Attempts:


Internet isn't working in Ubuntu 14.04 as VirtualBox Guest OS my settings match the answer's suggested settings.


Ubuntu installed on Vmware cannot get access to internet suggests to "Configuring Bridged Networking Options on a Windows Host" and How to set up and manage a Network Bridge connection on Windows 10 says that I need to "o set a static IP address to your computer manually."


Question:


Do I really need to go that far?


I am asking this because I did this before on Windows 7 for a school project, and I installed Ubuntu and it worked just fine. Also there was internet (Wi-Fi) on the guest too.


Note:


Guest Additions were installed successfully.


Edit:


If I create a new Vm, and choose newer versions of Ubuntu, I get this error right away:


enter image description here



Well, after a long discussion in chat, we got everything resolved :)


There were multiple issues at play:



  • Making sure the OP used a supported LTS release (He was originally using an EOL standard release)

  • Making sure the OP's CPU supported VT-X

  • Making sure that VT-X was enabled in the BIOS

  • Making sure that Hyper-V was disabled, as Hyper-V and VBox cannot coexist

  • Making sure that the VM was set to "Ubuntu 64-bit" instead of "Ubuntu 32-bit"

  • Making sure the OP knew how to spell Ubuntu :P


In the end, everything was resolved and the VM worked fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...