Wednesday, December 14, 2016

12.04 - Install Ubuntu along Windows 8 with UEFI (can't get to installation screen)

I am trying to install Ubuntu alongside with Windows 8 for three days now. I have a simple notebook with no CD/DVD drive, so I am using a USB stick for it and I used the recommended usb boot creator tool: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/. The tool seems to work fine as Windows recognize the USB stick as a Ubuntu install. And I don't have a broken image (I checked the md5 hash).



I was able to boot the USB stick in EFI mode (I saw in this tutorial how to), but after a while in the Ubuntu typical loading screen I get to a terminal text screen with some "kernel panic" stuff and saying that "going back to text mode" or something like that. The problem is that after that nothing happens (need to force shutdown).



I tried to disable UEFI and then boot the computer with the USB stick normally, but then after the typical loading screen I get a white screen with nothing and no options (need to force shutdown to leave, also).



At last, I figured maybe was a distribution problem, so I tried Linux Mint 16 (which is based on Ubuntu, but anyway) and also OpenSUSE. None of them worked. Mint X server crashed (at least I got to a terminal, but that was not what I wanted). OpenSUSE only got me more kernel panic text and I also needed to force shutdown.




I am with this notebook for a few months now and I always wanted to install Linux in it, but was delay because of all the complains I read about this UEFI stuff. Any suggestion?



Thanks in advance.



EDIT:
This question is not answered in that post. Like I said, I can't even get to the installation screen.



EDIT 2:
I have tried the Ubuntu 12.04.4 in both Legacy mode and EFI mode and always I get to the white screen (after Ubuntu loading) without any further option (except forced shutdown). I also tried the 13.10 version, but the result was the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...