Sunday, December 11, 2016

boot - Issue creating bootable USB using dd command

It's a while that I'm trying to create a bootable USB drive with a Windows on it. I first tried with Unebootin unsuccessfully, I reckon the reason is the fact that the last version doesn't support any more the "show all drivers" option, which was necessary for the application to recognize USB drives formatted to ntfs using Gparted.

And apparently to create Windows bootable USB drives the ntfs format is required, otherwise it won't boot...



Then I've tried, carefully following the instructions that I've picked up on the internet, to do it on the terminal using the dd command. But then again, so far no luck.



Here's the details:



dd if=/home/GIGI/Windows/Windows.iso of=/dev/sdb1 ibs=4b obs=1b conv=notrunc,noerror


But here what the terminal then prompts:




dd: failed to open ‘/dev/sdb1’: Permission denied


What permission? Anyone can help telling me what I'm missing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...