Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Login loop on setup of new ubuntu 16.04 Nvidia-367 driver

I am just setting up a new linux-only system, with supermicro motherboard X10SRL-F, Xeon chip, and GeForce 1070 GPU. Hardrives are set to legacy (not UEFI), secure boot is disabled, though CSM is still enabled.


Ubuntu install works fine, and I switched the processor to the intel proprietary drivers and installed intel gpu tools and rebooted, no problems. Ran sudo apt-get update, reboot, no problems. However, I have tried both switching to Nvidia driver 367 in the system settings and running sudo apt-get install nvidia-current (which should be driver 367), and both lead to a login loop on reboot. I have also tried install driver 361, same issue.


I have already tried everything suggested here: Ubuntu gets stuck in a login loop, the permissions were not the problem, I have also uninstalled and reinstalled lightdm, again no help. I believe I have tried everything I can find at this point, any help would be greatly appreciated.


Edit: have run sudo apt-get purge nvidia* and then reinstalled, as well as a fresh install of ubuntu 16.04, did not help


Edit: have also tried switching to gdm3 (different error), caused a different error, did not resolve the issue. Also, running sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop, did install something, but still got the login loop on reboot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...