Thursday, January 5, 2017

Dual booting Ubuntu 11.10 and Fedora 16 [ problem partitioning ]



I have 320 gb hard drive. It already has a drive each for Ubuntu installation, Home, an NTFS drive and swap partition.



With the space that is left over, I want to try Fedora 16 too as it has some good reviews. However, everytime I try to do so, there is this message that says we can not have MORE THAN 4 PRIMARY PARTITION. How do I bypass this without losing data ?



Also, is it possible to use the same Home partition for both OS ?



You can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions on 1 hard disc (where only 1 can be active at the same time). You need to use logical partitions inside an extended partition.




Maybe an image is easier:



enter image description here



hda is the harddisc.
hda1, hda2, hda3 are primary and hda3 holds an extended partition with logical partitions hda5, hda6, hda7 and hda8.



Regarding:





How do I bypass this without losing data ?




Make a backup of anything important before you do anything else. Put in on a USB stick, CD or DVD or BD depending on the hardware you have and the size of the data.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...