Tuesday, January 31, 2017

wireless - BCM 4313 proprietary driver blocks WiFi for other devices

I run a home wlan and a few days ago I upgraded a hp dv7 pavilion laptop from Oneiric to Precise. I had the proprietary Broadcom STA driver (wl module) activated.


Whenever this laptop was connected to WiFi had speedtest.net result of 8 Mbps (down) and all other machines (laptops, smartphones) could only get speedtest.net results well below 1 Mbps (mostly 500 Kbps) with severe ping problems and other bizarre effects. When the laptop was off everything was OK for the other machines.


Thinking about this a little I decided to remove the STA proprietary driver and use the opensource one. Everything works perfectly now for all the machines on the Wifi.


I wonder if the STA driver update in precise is rotten since it appears that it transformed my machine into a WiFi jammer. Is this possible ?


It seems that this issue is lined to the BCM 4314 itself, not a particular laptop.


What may be the possible reason for such a peculiar behavior? Can I overcome it without disabling the proprietary driver? What can I do to troubleshoot this problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...