Sunday, January 15, 2017

How to re-arrange application indicators in top bar? (Ubuntu 17.10)

I am running Ubuntu 17.10 (Xorg if that matters).



Is it at all possible to re-order the application indicators in the top bar?
(dropbox, glipper, etc.)



I have noticed that if I close an application and open it again, that indicator gets pushed to the far left in the top bar.




Other than this, I cannot find a way to set them in a position I desire.



Is there a way I can set a preferred order for the indicators? I would rather not close out each application and open them in the order I want them to appear manually.



If there is no other solution, would it be to far fetched to write a Python script to open those applications on startup (in the order I want them to appear) instead of having the system load them?





I have found a way to load the indicators in the order I want with a Python script that calls each process individually, waits for stdout to send a pre-defined "complete" message, and repeats with the next process.




There is still one downside to this method though..
As soon as the computer goes to sleep, the indicators seem to go to an unordered state again.. I will modify my script a bit to compensate for this, but I am still looking for a long term solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...