Thursday, January 26, 2017

14.04 - Ubuntu characters missing with Nvidia GeForce 840M and Nouveau driver

I recently bought a new laptop (ASUS-X555LN) with a 840M graphics card in it. I installed Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit with its install DVD, during and after the install, there are missing characters, like in the screenshot below:


enter image description here


Before this, I executed the commands from this answer, but did not choose to activate the Nvidia drivers from the "Additional Drivers" menu, I'm still using the Nouveau driver.


Anyway, I'm confused. I already browsed a lot of discussions (like this and this) and tried the proposed solutions to the graphics card problem, but all of the times I ended up messing the desktop, (sometimes blank, sometimes 640x480). What is a guaranteed way of having no problems with my graphics card? Is there such a way?


Currently my driver options are: (also another example of my problem :) )


enter image description here


Which driver should I use?


Thanks for any help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...