Wednesday, January 18, 2017

grub2 - Fix GRUB to boot Windows after deleting Ubuntu

So I accidentally screwed up my GRUB installation and I get "grub rescue>" whenever I boot up.


I had two HDs. HD1 had Windows installed and was my primary boot device. HD2 had a 50GB partition of Ubuntu and the rest was storage. I decided I want Ubuntu as my primary operating system and I want Windows on HD2 so I backed up the storage and reformatted HD2, deleting Ubuntu. But I guess I deleted my GRUB installation because apparently GRUB isn't working now.


I want to install Ubuntu where Windows is now, but I'm not ready to do that yet - I need to get into Windows to back up my stuff.


edit:


I decided to install Ubuntu over Windows on HD1 hoping that would fix it. But when it got to installing grub it gave me an error and froze up. I had to manual restart and the boot menu popped up again. I decided to try to install Ubuntu to HD2 and it worked.


Okay and then the computer restarted and the boot menu popped up again. I decided to try to install it on HD1 to see if I got the same error. The installation worked and I didn't get any errors. So then I clicked reboot and pulled out the USB.


Okay.. so the issue now is my computer is just showing a black screen on startup with a flashing cursor in the top left.


edit2:


Okay now the boot-repair utility looks like it fixed it. Just ran it off of a live session. I'm worried about formatting HD2 now because I don't actually want Ubuntu there.


final edit:


Okay I formatted HD2. Got the same error. Booted live disk and ran boot repair. Problem is fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...