Tuesday, January 24, 2017

How do I find the package that provides a file?




Simple enough question: is there some shell command (or GUI method) I can use that, given the path to a file on my system, tells me what package put it there? Assuming the file did in fact come from a package, that is.



Bonus question: what if it's a file that isn't installed on my system? Is there, say, a website that will let me look up a file and see what packages, if any, provide it?



You can use dpkg command to find out which installed package owns a file:



From man dpkg:





-S, --search filename-search-pattern...
Search for a filename from installed packages.


Example:



$ dpkg -S /bin/ls
coreutils: /bin/ls



You can either search with a full path or with just the filename.



If you wish to search for files not yet installed on your computer, you can use the Ubuntu Packages Search


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...