Thursday, January 19, 2017

freeze - Diagnostic of a frozen screen? Fresh 17.10 Ubuntu install

I'm having a semi-common occurrence of a frozen screen, with a still-responsive mouse. Any sound or music that was playing will continue to play while frozen. I've found a few resources on what to do when it happens, though I haven't had a chance to test them yet...



One link with possible next steps after a freeze



Another link with possible next steps



But I'm actually more interested in figuring out what's causing the freeze. I haven't seen any consistency from what's causing it on the surface, but maybe there's something in a log that I don't know about yet.




Any suggestions around logs to check just after a freeze, or some other report to diagnose the problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...