Monday, January 16, 2017

ubuntu 14.04 LTS nvidia drivers


I have a gtx 780 nvidia graphics card and i would like to use cuda. To do so, I need the nvidia drivers rather than xorg server drivers. The problem I have is that every time I install a driver from nvidia my ubuntu boots with black screen printing a message: prob failed [some numbers]. In order to avoid reinstalling ubuntu each time I boot in recovery mode and then I just sudo purge nvidia* and reinstall the xorg server drivers. What i have tried so far:



  • sudo apt-get nvidia-304

  • same with 352 nvidia driver(is the latest)

  • installed cuda which it automatically installs the nvidia drivers(again failed)


What can I do to make the nvidia drivers work?



Step 1 - Uninstall the existing NVIDIA drivers ...


Highlight the Ubuntu entry in the GRUB menu and press the E key.
Add nouveau.modeset=0 to the end of the linux line.
Press F10 to boot.


On login screen press Ctrl+Alt+F1.
Enter user name and password.
Execute :


sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
sudo reboot

Step 2 - Install the latest official NVIDIA drivers ...


Highlight the Ubuntu entry in the GRUB menu and press the E key.
Add nouveau.modeset=0 to the end of the linux line.
Press F10 to boot.


On login screen press Ctrl+Alt+F1.
Enter user name and password.
Execute :


sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-358
sudo reboot

In case you consider a clean installation, which I recommend because maybe there is messed up too much, add the parameter when booting from the installation media and the first time after the installation of the Ubuntu system as well. First of all install the NVIDIA drivers following the instructions from Step 2. Everything should work fine now, so adding the parameter is obsolete.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...