Monday, January 16, 2017

drivers - Compiz or Unity not working

After upgrading to the latest Nvidia Driver 340.58 the Ubuntu Desktop is not working. I get a blank screen with only my wallpaper.




This seems to be a common problem with lots of solutions, but after trying various things I still can't get my Unity/Compiz back to work.



My system:




  • Ubuntu 14.10 64bit

  • Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT

  • Intel Core(TM)2 Quad Q6600




Output of uname -a



Linux [...] 3.16.0-26-generic #35-Ubuntu SMP Mon Dec 1 19:19:18 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux


What I tried so far:



setsid compiz
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz

dpkg-reconfigure compiz
dconf reset -f /org/compiz
apt-get install ubuntu-desktop unity compiz --reinstall


The only thing that helps until the next reboot is:



rm -rf ~/.gconf ~/.gconfd ~/.metacity ~/.compiz-1 ~/.config/compiz-1 ~/.config/dconf



After executing this command Compiz crashes and restarts and works fine. Also the guest session works works without any problems.



I also tried the standard Nvidia drivers that ship with Ubuntu, without any success.



Maybe I am missing something out but I have no clue why Compiz or Unity keeps setting itself back to a faulty configuration file after I reboot the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...