Thursday, January 5, 2017

grub2 - Unable to boot into windows after installing ubuntu 12.04


I have Windows on my machine and then installed Ubuntu 12.04 using USB. I was not getting the option to boot into windows, so I ran boot-repair but still I am not getting option to boot into windows. What can be the issue ?


Edit: I have deleted my recovery partition (some 20GB) and installed Ubuntu on it.



I've gone through your log file posted there, and It seems unfortunately the Other OS searcher script isn't working or missing executable bit.



  1. Boot to Ubuntu and open a terminal with Ctrl-Alt-T shortcut.


  2. Execute this command:


     sudo chmod +x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober

  3. Then run this command:


     sudo update-grub


OP says, this doesn't work.


If it doesn't work, I think grub is failing to detect Windows boot files. The most possible cause of this failing is losing Windows. (It was indeed the case as OP confirmed in a comment).


I suggest to use Window 7 disk to repair Windows boot issue and then use the Live CD to fix grub


Hope this will fix the problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...