Saturday, January 7, 2017

system installation - Installing Ubuntu over elementary os


Similar to this questions were asked in this community many times, but none of them could help me. I need to make sure.


I currently have installed elementary OS 0.3.2 and I want to switch to Ubuntu 16 without losing my /home files.


So I created a USB stick contains Ubuntu and booted to live and then Ubuntu installation, chose "Something else" and now I see my partitions. As far as I know I must select the partition with "elementary OS 0.3.2" description to install Ubuntu over elementary.


Now my question is: Is there anything else should I do to not to lose my /home data?



You can install Ubuntu on your Elementary / partition and select the Elemantary /home as your Ubuntu /home.


The data on the /home will not be deleted.


You need to take in account that user specific settings will stay as well. That may cause some conflicts with the new DE.


A better way is to create a new user in Ubuntu and transfer files to the new user home directory. Then delete the old user. That will get all settings cleaned.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...