Thursday, December 5, 2019

Neither launcher nor dash appears on login, Unity Plugin enabled

I was trying to fix an issue with Ubuntu 14.04: my screen would freeze when the computer was woken after being asleep. I followed the instructions here (Ubuntu 14.04 System freezes on wakeup from suspended state) which lead me to the solution posted here (How do I install the Nvidia driver for a GeForce GT 630) to install an updated NVIDIA driver. I followed the steps there. This solved my problem, but a new one cropped up: a thick (1 inch) black border appeared around all of my windows, including popups. So, I decided I would get rid of NVIDIA--the old problem was less of an issue than the new one. I ran "sudo nvidia-uninstall" from the terminal, and then rebooted.



Upon reboot, I attempted to sign in, but when I did nothing happened: neither the launcher nor the dash appeared. This seemed to describe the trouble I was having: Unity doesn't load, no Launcher, no Dash appears. So, I followed the most popular solution here, installing Compiz Settings Manager. I followed the instructions on that page to turn on Unity. And then I returned to the terminal and rebooted, as instructed.



At this point I still cannot sign in. When I return to the Compiz Settings Manager, the Unity Plugin is listed as turned on.




From here, I tried resetting Unity by installing the Unity Tweak Tool, and followed the steps here: Ubuntu Desktop does not load. Everything installs fine. When I try to run the unity tweak tool, however, I get a repeating error message of "dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: Cannot autolaunch D-Bus without X11 $DISPLAY". I then made sure that I had X11 installed, and followed the instructions here: How to install X11/xorg?. Still the problem persists.



Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea what to do to fix this, and really need my computer to be working.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...