Saturday, October 8, 2016

why is Grub not loading after Installing 11.10 Beta2 after windows 7?



I'm on a new machine, single sata drive.



Installed Windows 7.




Installed 11.10 beta 2, twice:




  • First with a separate home partition. Grub didn't load and boot was right to win7


  • Second I blew away the new Linux partitions and installed 'along windows' all defaults. Result was same as above.




I attempted this: No Grub after installing Ubuntu beside Windows 7




And now on boot I get: "error file not loaded," followed by the grub rescue prompt. No grub. No Windows 7.



This has always worked in the past. Windows 7 first, then Ubuntu. Is this a problem with the 11.10 beta?



Following this (rather then the answer to the similar question above) appears to have solved the problem.



Stuck in grub rescue after Windows install



The first wasn't as clear about which partition grub should be installed on (confusing it with which should be mounted).




By comparing both answers I've found mine. Cheers.



Edit:



the 'this' after 'Following this' was a link to the other question. Seems I lost the hyperlink in an edit. Unfortunately I can't remember all the details of how I solved this


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...