Monday, October 31, 2016

16.04 - Unable to mount Windows 10 partition; it "is in an unsafe state"


I have both Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and Windows 10 Pro installed and I use them both very often.
Sometimes, when using Ubuntu, I can see and use Windows partitions also. But sometimes, I cannot. I dont know why?


Ubuntu gives the error:


Error mounting /dev/sda5 at /media/mani/0AC217250AC21725:
Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000" "/dev/sda5" "/media/mani/0AC217250AC21725"' exited with non-zero exit status 14:
The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sda5': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume read-only with the 'ro' mount option

Although I have shut it down many times, it still gives me this error.
Please help so that I can use the two operating systems easily.



You need to disable the "Fast Startup" feature. To quote the How-To-Geek:



Open up your power options by hitting Windows+X or right-clicking your
Start menu and selecting Power Options. In the Power Options window,
click “Choose what the power buttons do.”


enter image description here


If this is the first time you’ve messed with these settings, you’ll
need click “Change settings that are currently unavailable” to make
the Fast Startup option available for configuration.


enter image description here


Scroll to the bottom of the window and you should see “Turn on fast
startup (recommended)"


enter image description here



Uncheck the "fast startup" box.


Then, shut down Windows 10, and you should be able to mount the NTFS partition from Ubuntu just fine.




How-To-Geek quotation taken from here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...