Wednesday, October 19, 2016

graphics - How do I set 'nomodeset' after I've already installed Ubuntu?




I know that editing the boot options line and adding 'nomodeset' solves the problem of my laptop during LiveCD mode, what I don't know is how to set it at boot up through Grub2 after I've installed Ubuntu.



So, my question is; how do I set nomodeset before I boot into Ubuntu?



To edit Grub2 during the boot process try the following:




  1. Immediately after the BIOS splash screen during boot, press and hold the SHIFT button. This will display you grub containing a list of kernels and recovery options



    enter image description here



  2. Press e to edit the first kernel displayed



    enter image description here


  3. Find the line ending with quiet splash. Add your boot option before these key words - i.e. so the line looks like [...]nomodeset quiet splash

  4. Press CTRL + X to boot



Follow the steps in Coldfish's answer on how to fix the nomodeset boot option permanently so that you don't have to go through this manual procedure again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...