Friday, October 21, 2016

apt - xkeyboard-config: command not found and can't install it either



I am trying to set up Xpra on my headless Ubuntu server and in the process of trying to fix a problem I'm having (specifically, a XKB: Could not invoke xkbcomp error), I came across the advice that I should install and configure xkeyboard-config.



However, when I tried to run xkeyboard-config, the command was not found. I then tried to install xkeyboard-config but apt-get told me that Package xkeyboard-config is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source. I did find this which says that the package was deleted for Cosmic but doesn't mention alternatives:
https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/core/cosmic/universe/proposed/xkeyboard-config



Can someone please help get xkeyboard-config installed and set up? Thanks.







Edit: I forgot to mention that right after the XKB: Could not invoke xkbcomp error, the Xorg log had the following line:
Keyboard initialization failed. This could be a missing or incorrect setup of xkeyboard-config.



This is why I am trying to see if there is something wrong with xkeyboard-config before I try other troubleshooting steps.



The source package named xkeyboard-config is available in all Ubuntu releases:



1. see its page on packages.ubuntu.com.
2. see output of locally ran rmadison xkeyboard-config:




$ rmadison xkeyboard-config
xkeyboard-config | 2.5-1ubuntu1 | precise | source
xkeyboard-config | 2.5-1ubuntu1.5 | precise-updates | source
xkeyboard-config | 2.10.1-1ubuntu1 | trusty | source
xkeyboard-config | 2.16-1ubuntu1 | xenial | source
xkeyboard-config | 2.23.1-1ubuntu1 | bionic | source
xkeyboard-config | 2.23.1-1ubuntu1 | cosmic | source
xkeyboard-config | 2.23.1-1ubuntu1.18.04.1 | bionic-proposed | source
xkeyboard-config | 2.23.1-1ubuntu1.18.10.1 | cosmic-updates | source
xkeyboard-config | 2.23.1-1ubuntu1.18.10.1 | disco | source



The following binary packages are built from this source package:




xkb-data
   X Keyboard Extension (XKB) configuration data
xkb-data-i18n
   X Keyboard Extension (XKB) configuration data translations
xkb-data-udeb
   X Keyboard Extension (XKB) configuration data




but they do not contain executables, only configuration data.







About your original problem with xkbcomp - it is available from x11-xkb-utils package. Install it with:



sudo apt-get install x11-xkb-utils 

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...