Sunday, October 16, 2016

installation - Blank screen with blinking cursor after install


I find that sometimes when I install Ubuntu 11, I get a blank screen with a blinking cursor... what's wrong?


Following this answer



  • Press shift during boot

  • e to edit entry (quiet splash to text)

  • F10 to boot

  • got black screen without cursor


Then tried from another answer



  • replace quiet splash to xforcevesa (what does this do?)

  • got same blank screen without cursor


Then I tried boot into recovery, then update GRUB entries. That works, but when I restart, I'm back to square one.



Try editing the boot entry and placing "nomodeset" (without the quotes) as an option.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...