Sunday, October 16, 2016

16.04 - Remove amdgpu-pro and get the opensource driver

I have Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Cinnamon desktop, Verde = Radeon HD7770 graphic card. Had installed the proprietary driver amdgpu-pro 17.50 after the 17.40 had some stability problems. 17.50 runs OK, except some games simply do not run. F.ex. Factorio has memory leak or something like that, which could be helped on 17.40, but not on 17.50.



So I decided to ditch the proprietary and jump on the opensource driver (is it called radeon?). All the guides say, simply uninstall the amdgpu-pro and you will have the opensource. Nope, not for me. I get black (somewhat) screen, without even CTRL-ALT-F1 possibility. But, the ssh works, I can connect from my phone and do some maintenance as well as from the failsafe boot option.



When I edit the grub2 config to have nomodeset, I can boot into software rendered low resolution desktop with Cinnamon message "Running in software rendering mode": Factorio runs, but slow as hell = CPU is working for the GPU.
I have done the amdgpu-pro-uninstall, which now do not work anymore, as expected. Have purged and reinstalled the xorg and what not.
Funny enough dmesg gives this:



[drm:amdgpu_init [amdgpu]] *ERROR* VGACON disables amdgpu kernel modesetting.



I suppose, I should not have anything to do anymore with amdgpu.
Command lsmod does not show anything amdgpu or radeon. So automatic install of the default is not working?
Another funny observation:



lspci -k | grep -EA2 'VGA|3D'
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde XT [Radeon HD 7770/8760 / R7 250X]
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Cape Verde XT [Radeon HD 7770/8760 / R7 250X]
Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu



Shouldn't I just have one? How do I get the proprietary driver off completely and the opensource one on?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...