Sunday, October 16, 2016

'Gnome Classic' launches unity instead



I have previously installed the 'gnome-session-fallback' package to get the standard Gnome desktop instead of unity. I normally just select 'Gnome Classic' when I log in. Just now, I logged in with unity instead just to test it, and now I can't get back to Gnome.



If i select 'Gnome Classic' on the login screen, I get unity instead. 'Gnome Classic (No effects) does launch Gnome instead of unity, but I want the real thing.




How can I have my Gnome desktop back?



This is not exactly as you said. I had this problem in the past. Gnome-classic loads the gnome-classic environment with effects. Sometimes is not disable the Unity plugin (it should do) and you have a gnome-classic environment with Unity Launcher.



Try 2 things.



First try to re-install gnome-classic environment with this command



sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-panel



OR



Install the compizconfig-settings-manager with this command



sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager


Open it via terminal with this command (or you can call it from Dash)




ccsm


and disable manually the Unity Plugin. (but this is just a workaround)


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...