Friday, August 12, 2016

system installation - How do I boot Windows 10 after installing Ubuntu 16.04.3?

When I boot the computer, it briefly prompts to press DELETE to go into UEFI BIOS, then goes to the GRUB menu prompting which option of Ubuntu to boot with: generic or advanced. There is no Windows option anywhere in this menu. When I installed Ubuntu, I used a live-USB, following the official Ubuntu tutorials on installing Ubuntu to a USB (with Rufus and the iso file), and the installation guide, without deviating from the tutorial instructions. After booting with the USB, I successfully installed Ubuntu with the OEM option. (Booting with the "Install Ubuntu" option didn't work, I got a ubi-partman failed with exit code 151 error. Windows 10 v. 1511 was installed originally on an OEM software disc, where I since upgraded it to v. 1703.) During the installation I opted to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 10, then got this pop-up here.


The original partitions are still visibile here, showing that filesystem partition 1 (which Windows 10 is installed on) is reserved, bootable, but not NTFS mounted, partition 5 has the parition type "Linux", mounted at the filesystem root, and partition 6 has the partition type "Linux swap" and has contents "Swap (version 1) — Active".


I tried to follow Karel's answer on the linked question, but it seems to be lacking in details. I booted from the live USB, pressed e to go to command line, pressed tab to see the available commands, and saw no option for sudo. I pressed esc and in GRUB selected "Try Ubuntu without installing", and got a list of errors. Similarly, I tried selecting check disk for errors, with the first line being:


initramfs unpacking failed: LZMA data is corrupt.


Unfortunately I can't post more images due to my limited privileges.


I wanted to export the HTML file from the Brave browser on Windows to the Brave browser on Linux.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...