Wednesday, August 24, 2016

dual boot - Booting Ubuntu from 2nd Hard drive

I Just bought a Refurbished Dell precision M6600, Which has two 700GB 7200RPM Hard Drives. Windows is Installed on the first, Ubuntu on the second (Along with Swap Partition). Everytime I've done this (Probably 2 dozen times), after I install Ubuntu, and Change Bios Settings (to boot ubuntu HD first), It typically boots into grub to give me he option of Booting into either OS Partition.



But This time is different. It won't boot into grub. I've tried changing boot sequence to boot Ubuntu HD, but it still boots straight into Windows. I've even tried Disabling the Windows Hard Drive (In BIOS), so it only has the option of booting the Ubuntu HD, but SOMEHOW it still boots straight into Windows. I would go and just disconnect the Windows Hard drive, but I really don't feel like tearing apart my new laptop. If troubleshooting comes down to it, I gotta do what I gotta do. But I really don't feel like going thru that trouble.




I can only seem to boot the Live CD (actually live USB, Created with Universal USB Installer). I've already re-formatted and re-installed Ubuntu 3 times Trying to troubleshoot, to no avail...



Just to be sure, Grub should be installed on the Ubuntu HD during installation, not the Windows HD correct? That's the only thing I feel like I haven't tried.



I guess my question here is, What would be the reasons it is booting into Windows no matter what I try??

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...