Saturday, August 27, 2016

dual boot - Gparted not resizing partitions & I'm unable to access Ubuntu 14.04 install




I'm trying to resize my partitions, to increase the area for my install of Ubuntu 14.04. I'd like to regain use of that partition, which I was unable to get back into after doing a fresh install of Windows XP on another partition. I'm currently using Ubuntu trial via a boot repair USB.



I unswapped the linux-swap so I could move the partitions, but Gparted comes back with error messages each time I try to resize something. (I can't use a screenshot because I lack enough of a reputation here to upload images.)



In Gparted the partitions are:



/dev/sda,   1ntfs,         9.77GB (3.7GB used);
unallocated, 34.93GB;
/dev/sda2, extended, 29.83GB;
/dev/sda5, ext4, 27.83GB (11.8GB used);

/dev/sda6, linux-swap, 2GB.


I assume the ntfs part is my Windows XP reinstall and the ext4 part is my Ubuntu 14.04 install. I've been reading through answers here and on Gparted but am not getting anywhere.



Backstory: I had Windows XP but it stopped working, then I installed Ubuntu 14.04 alongside it (which has been behaving in faulty ways, not loading properly etc). I re-installed Windows XP on a reduced partition of ~10GB. Since the Win reinstall I'm unable to start the Ubuntu OS, so am using Ubuntu via the trial option on a boot repair USB... My files are backed up.



(I'm on a Dell Latitude 640m laptop.)



This is the error message when I tried to expand the extended (empty, 29.83GB) partition into the unallocated partition (this was too long to be allowed in a comment). Note that there are no lock keys anywhere and everything is unmounted etc: GParted 0.12.1 --enable-libparted-dmraid




Libparted 2.3
Move /dev/sda2 to the left and grow it from 29.83 GiB to 64.76 GiB 00:00:00 ( ERROR )

calibrate /dev/sda2 00:00:00 ( SUCCESS )

path: /dev/sda2
start: 93,745,150
end: 156,301,311
size: 62,556,162 (29.83 GiB)

move partition to the left and grow it from 29.83 GiB to 64.76 GiB 00:00:00 ( ERROR )

old start: 93,745,150
old end: 156,301,311
old size: 62,556,162 (29.83 GiB)
requested start: 20,484,096
requested end: 156,299,263
requested size: 135,815,168 (64.76 GiB)
libparted messages ( INFO )


Unable to satisfy all constraints on the partition.
Can't have overlapping partitions.

========================================


You may upload a screenshot to some service, and rest here a link. Without an error description it is hard to say what you had encountered.



About your second part of a question, if I properly understood you, the Windows just erased an old loader. It's not a big problem, unless you may load from USB stick. As the Windows doesn't recognizes an alien bootloaders, it is so often occured thing, that the Canonical(a company that develops Ubuntu) even wrote a how-to on how to fix it.




UPD: I am agree with @ Curtis's hypothesis, but I think that you may try to solve this other way, than trying to find latest version, or compiling it from a sources: try to install KDE Partition Manager, and see, what it does (sudo apt-get install partitionmanager).


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...