Tuesday, August 23, 2016

software installation - Install haroopad correctly from tar.gz

Before you mark this as a duplicate of How do I install a .tar.gz (or .tar.bz2) file? hear me out first.


I downloaded the haroopad-v0.12.0_i386.tar.gz file from the haroopad website and extracted the archive expecting to find the normal .make or install.sh files but they were not there, instead there were two more archives - 'control.tar.gz' and 'data.tar.gz'.


I extracted both of them and below is the file tree. (I ommited the .icons tree structure from data.tar.gz because they are just icons).


control.tar.gz:


├── control
└── postinst

data.tar.gz:


└── usr
├── bin
│   └── haroopad
└── share
├── applications
│   ├── Haroopad.desktop
│   └── mimeapps.list
├── doc
│   ├── changelog
│   └── copyright
├── haroopad
│   ├── haroopad <-------------
│   ├── Libraries
│   ├── nw.pak
│   └── Resources
│   └── Themes
│   ├── editor
│   │   └── default.css
│   └── viewer
│   └── default.css
└── icons

I can get haroopad to run by double clicking the haroopad file (shown above with an arrow) but am sure there must be a better way to 'install' it.


I think I should copy these files somewhere - like the 'Haroopad.desktop' I suppose should go to '~/.local/share/applications', but I'm not so sure.


How do I install this archive correctly in such a way that I can run it from the dash and terminal?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can&#39;t boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...