Friday, August 12, 2016

boot - How do I troubleshoot screen configuration failure on a new install?




I installed Ubuntu on a 2008 MacBook Pro yesterday and can't get any display or x server booted. I can boot from the CD into rescue mode, so I can see that:




  • The syslog has an error, GdmLocalDisplayFactory: maximum number of X display failures reached: check X server log for errors


  • In /var/log/Xorg.1.log (and the other Xorg logs) I see "Fatal server error: [27.266] (EE) no screens found(EE)"


  • Earlier in the log out also says "screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section." several times. It also says "Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration."





I'm guessing there's a ... screen configuration issue? But I don't know where to start troubleshooting it.



Note: I did discover My computer boots to a black screen, what options do I have to fix it? which I walked through, but holding down right-shift doesn't do anything. It just lands me in a silver screen (light grey, I guess) with an arrow cursor and nothing else.



I can boot to rescue mode from the CD,



Per How do I set 'nomodeset' after I've already installed Ubuntu? Boot into rescue mode, edit /etc/default/grub to add nomodetest and then do update grub.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...