Thursday, June 13, 2019

Ubuntu 18.04 login loop problem with gnome; unity works fine

I just upgraded to 18.04 from 16.04. The upgrade went through with no error messages, but I hit the login loop right after the upgrade: at the login page, after typing the correct password, the screen goes black for 1-2 seconds and then goes back to the original login page. I have tried various suggestions found online (including this forum). An incomplete list of items I tried are:




  • Removed and reinstalled the latest Nvidia driver

  • Removed ~/.local folder

  • checked all customized entries in ~/.profile


  • removed the ~/.Xauthority file

  • checked that my account has the ownership of the ~/.ICEauthority

  • switched between GDM3 and LightDM (the symptom is the same between different display managers)



There are probably a few other things I tried that I cannot recall anymore. Finally, I found that through LightDM I have three desktop environments to choose from:




  • Ubuntu

  • Ubuntu on wayland


  • Unity (default)



By default, the system directs me to the first option "Ubuntu" (which I assume is the new Gnome environment?). If I switch to unity, the desktop does load with no issues. Wayland has the same login loop problem.



Up to this point, I am running out of options. I am now sticking with unity and not sure if this is a good long-term solution. Any thoughts on why GNOME does not launch?



The machine is an "Asus N56JR" laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...