Saturday, June 15, 2019

usb - Persistence Problem in Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus




I've had a problem with the persistence module in Ubuntu 17.04. (I have used this particular file for any diagnostic help: ubuntu-17.04-desktop-amd64.iso.)



I have followed several steps including:




  1. Creating a bootable USB using Linux Live USB Creator in Windows, creating a 4GB persistence module on a FAT32 usb (Sandisk, 32GB) - Failed, none of my settings/apps remained


  2. Created a USB while in Ubuntu 17.04 in Unetbootin, FAT32, 4GB persistence module - Failed, none of my settings/apps remained


  3. Formatted the same USB stick with Gparted, creating a 4GB FAT32 partition, a 4GB ext4 partition (labeled "casper-rw"), and a spare remaining FAT32 partition. Used Unetbootin to install Ubuntu 17.04 + 10MB persistent module, then removed the 10MB persistent module. link here.


  4. I have tried another 16GB ADATA USB stick and formatted it using method 2) above, thinking maybe settings did not apply because of something to do with the brand of the USB stick. I'm kind of out of options





If it helps, I've selected "Try Ubuntu Without Installing" everytime the prompt comes up; however, I'm not sure if this information is pertinent to my problem or not.



Sounds like you have tried just about everything but mkusb,



I would recommend trying mkusb first: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb



It can create a bootable 'buntu flash drive, with Boot on FAT32 partition, OS on read only ISO9660 partition, persistence on ext casper-rw partition and NTFS partition accessible to Linux and Windows. It works with BIOS or UEFI.



(Persistent partitions are not currently working with syslinux installs such as LiLi and Unetbootin).



No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...