Thursday, June 13, 2019

dual boot - Trouble installing Ubuntu on my desktop



New to askUbuntu, and a new return to Ubuntu. I used to run Ubuntu about 8-9 years ago, but I recently decided to try it out again. Unfortunately, I've been getting nowhere trying to get this installed. I will start out by saying that I will be dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, on 2 separate hard drives. I will start with my system specs.




Motherboard - MSI z170a M7
/ SSD 1 - Samsung 951 pro M-2 256 gig (Windows 10 already installed)
/ SSD 2 - Samsung 850 pro SATA 256 gig (This is where I would like to install Ubuntu)
/ HDD - 2 TB WD Black 7200 RPM
/ CPU - Intel Core I7 6700K
/ RAM - 32 gigs of EVGA 3200Mz DDR4
/ GPU - 2 EVGA 980Ti run in SLI



So here's what's been going on so far. I finally figured out how to make the computer not automatically load into Windows, by going into my Bios and setting the Windows 10 support to Off. So, to dual boot I'll have to go into the bios each time I switch an OS, turning that feature on and off to get each OS to boot. I'm fine with that.




I downloaded Ubuntu (16.04.1), and installed it on an older flash drive. A Kingston 2 GB, probably 10 years old, and I put it into a standard USB port. I loaded to the screen where you can either boot it live, or install it. Selected install, went to a black screen, after about 20 minutes I decided maybe that flash drive was too slow to do this install. Went back into windows, and put the files on a SanDisk 32 GB USB 3.0 drive, and stuck that into a USB 3.1 port on the mobo. Figured that would give it plenty of speed.



Selected install, same deal. Black screen. Restarted, selected live boot. It did a few things, then black screen again. Restarted and selected check for errors. This time, it actually booted to a purple screen with an Ubuntu logo, and did an error check which came back clean, however when it told me to hit any key to reboot, my letters went into an odd almost CMD box on the upper left hand side of the screen, had to hard restart.



I've rebooted and tried this several more times, sometimes it's a blank black screen, sometimes it's a black screen with a flashing underscore at the top, like it's waiting for my to type something in, but I can't type on it.



I've seen mention of using VGA to get it to install, but this isn't an option for me as my monitor has only a single Displayport on it, no HDMI, no VGA, no DVI.



Am I missing something here? Should I just let it sit on the black screen for an hour or so and see if it does anything?




Thank you all for reading and any assistance you may have on this subject.



So after days of pulling my hair out, I found the solution. Hopefully people installing Ubuntu with my system setup will find this, because the solution is an easy one, but if you don't know a lot about in depth bios setups, can be tricky to figure out.



I simply needed to go into the bios setting in the advanced section, click the Graphics section, and switch from PEG, to IGD. That let my system show Ubuntu from the live install USB. Thank you to all who assisted.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...