Thursday, June 13, 2019

apt - "Your current Hardware Enablement Stack (HWE) is going out of support"


My ubuntu system now says;



Your current Hardware Enablement Stack (HWE) is going out of support
on 07. aug. 2014. After this date security updates for critical parts
(kernel and graphics stack) of your system will no longer be
available.



and suggests to fix it by doing:



sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-trusty
linux-image-generic-lts-trusty



However, on this website:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack


they state the following:



Those running virtual or cloud images should not need these newer
enablement stacks and are thus recommended to remain on the original
Precise stack



and I do run on a VM. So I'm a little confused.
Should I update the HWE with apt-get or not? It seems to me that I really should, as it seems I might miss important security updates if I don't...but the website also seems to state that I don't need to do so if I run virtual?



If you did a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04.4 it means you are using the Saucy kernel, since Ubuntu Saucy ended support two days ago that means your current kernel will drop security support and you will not recieve security updates so you need to do as suggested by the system update.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...