Thursday, June 13, 2019

14.04 - Replacing Windows 7 with Windows 8 while on dual boot


I have Ubuntu 14.04 and Windows 7 64b alongside . I just want now to remove "7" and install
Windows 8.1 .
Should I just insert Windows 8.1 CD and start installation as I would do on "normal" ,non dual boot systems?
Is that possible without corrupting and/or doing anything with Ubuntu partition because in the past I installed Ubuntu after Windows 7?
Is the order of installing important and what are the main differences?



Although the specific instructions totally depend on your situation, partitioning etc. You should insert Windows 8 disc and replace Windows 7 (if you want that removed of course), simply format Windows 7 partition and install Windows 8.
After doing so, your GRUB bootloader will be inaccessible, you should insert and boot an Ubuntu LiveCD and fix GRUB (using commands or GUI tools like grub-customizer).


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...