Saturday, June 22, 2019

kernel - Complete Screen Freeze on Ubuntu 16.04




I am having issues with my recently built pc. The screen will freeze while doing anything, requiring me to perform a hard shutdown and reboot in order to end the problem. Trying to do CTRL + Shift + F1-7 doesn't work during a freeze either.



Digging through my syslogs, the only thing I could find that could be the issue is the error:



kernel: [   10.945208] [drm:intel_dp_link_training_clock_recovery [i915]] *ERROR* too many voltage retries, give up


I am using the integrated graphics card of my CPU, since this computer is not for anything intensive such as gaming, but to be a Plex server.





  • My Motherboard is an ASRock H110-HDV LGA1151

  • My CPU is an Intel Core i5-6400 Skylake



I added those because I read some forum posts saying that using the integrated graphics is the issue, but I wasn't sure since the posted solutions did not work for me. My kernel is at 4.8.0.-41, which I believe is the latest version.



How can I fix this and end the random screen freezes? Thank you very much!



If you have Intel this may help you. I was having this same problem fairly frequently (3-4 times a day) and nothing I did including upgrading to the 4.8 kernel helped.




Then I found this:



Ubuntu 15.10 and 16.04 keep freezing randomly



Particularly the 1st answer provided the solution that worked for me as I no longer have these "freeze-ups" on my laptop.



= = = Quote of what worked for me = = =



However, this problem(where nothing but forced shutdown works to recover from the freeze) may be related to the kernel and if kernel upgrading cannot solve the problem, then an work-around could be to add the statement intel_idle.max_cstate=1 in the grub configuration file.




Before doing the following make a COPY of your current GRUB file so you can restore it if you happen to mistype something...



sudo nano /etc/default/grub



There is a line in that:



GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" (like this)



replace with (all 1 line):




GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash intel_idle.max_cstate=1"



Save it - (CTRL+O)



then..



sudo update-grub



sudo reboot




Since I've made this change I rarely have any more freeze-ups and if I do they only last for maybe 5-10 seconds then clear up.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...