Monday, July 10, 2017

process - What can I do when Ubuntu is stuck?



I used to work with window in the past, and when Windows was stuck (cursor doesn't move or respond to clicks, for example), I could just clicked Ctrl+Alt+Delete, open the task manager and end the task that causes the OS to stuck.



Unfortunately, this feature doesn't exist in Ubuntu. I know the command 'xkill', but it doesn't always work, and in order to use it, I first have to open a terminal. When Ubuntu is stack, sometimes it's not possible to open a terminal. I also know the commands 'lsof' and 'kill -9 ...'. Still, it's not always useful when OS is stuck.



Do you know any technique that is as effective as ctrl+alt+del in Windows?




You can press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to console, where you can kill any process.



If that does not work either, you can reboot by Ctrl+Alt+S,U,B.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...