Monday, July 24, 2017

unity - Trouble recovering after release upgrade

I was upgrading from Ubuntu 14 to Ubuntu 16.04 when the process failed. After the computer rebooted itself, I found a problem with the bootloader, which would throw me back to BIOS setup. I fixed that with the Ubuntu install disk.




Now I have access to tty1-tty6. I found out that Unity dash was missing. I managed to run "startx", so now I am able to open gfx applications from the terminal, but all the panels and elements of unity dash, as well as borders of windows are missing.



Also, I can't install the needed packages, because I can't connect to Wi-Fi. I don't have an Ethernet hub in my laptop so Wi-Fi is the only option. It seems to me that the driver is missing. I downloaded bcmwl-kernel-source, but dpkg won't install it. It throws some C compilation error. I tried several builds with no success.



At this point I am really frustrated because I just can't Google an answer anymore and I have no idea what to do. I need to recover access to Wi-Fi but I have no idea how.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...