Wednesday, July 19, 2017

How can I clean my software caches from the command line?



In the upgrade from 12.10 to 13.04 I lost the ability to use Ubuntu Tweak's Janitor to clean caches so I would like to know how to do it from the command line.



I've never used any such software but if you're talking about caches, I think you might mean downloaded APT packages in /var/cache/apt/archives which are cleaned with sudo apt-get clean.



If you mean package/source package caches, then these can be re-generated with apt-cache gencaches. If you want to remove them for some (odd) reason, they're held in:



/var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin

/var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache.bin

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...