Thursday, July 20, 2017

networking - Ethernet does not work with a specific cable (Ubuntu 15.10)

I have to use a static IP configuration. I just got a new ethernet cable, and it worked fine for a while. Then it stopped detecting the ethernet connnection. I mean, it would tell me that I'm connected, then as soon as I tried accessing any website it would stop detecting the connection.



I followed the advice I found in several answers on this forum, and set managed=true in my NetworkManager.conf file. This worked for a while, but now it refuses to detect the ethernet connection altogether.



It works with two other ethernet cables I've tried (borrowed from friends) but not with mine. All the cables work fine with Windows 10 though.




Are there some compatibility issues with my particular cable? Do ethernet cables come in different types?



UPDATE: One of the cables Ubuntu is fine with is a category 6 cable, while mine is a category 5e.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...