Thursday, July 13, 2017

Performance with Intel skylake 6500U with integrated graphics HD 520

I just got a new laptop (razer blade stealth) with the following configuration :




  • Intel skylake i7 6500U

  • Intel HD Graphics 520

  • 8Gb of RAM

  • 512Gb SSD

  • 4k Display




I know this question might seem too naive but I've been looking quite a lot and didn't find any definitive answer. Is this hardware supported "fully" By linux (ubuntu gnome) ? I ask because everything seem so sluggish on my laptop. Scrolling webpages, scrolling pdf document are sluggish with a lot of lag, resizing windows is painfully slow, and the experience overall is not really good. In comparison windows feels nice, but I prefer the linux environment. Here is a list of things I tried :




  • Upgrade to ubuntu 16.02 ( was running 15.10 )

  • Installed intel graphics software, ( supposed to update all drivers, the release of this software is pretty recent 16 feb 2016 )

  • Installed the proprietary intel cpu driver



I am really attached to the ubuntu gnome environment but I don't recall having any of this problem before, so my guess is that the hardware is not fully supported at the moment ? I have a few weeks to decide if I want to keep the laptop and I want to be sure to nail the origin of the problem before returning it to regret in the future.




Note : I am wondering if changing the backend to compiz instead of metacity would make things better ( I highly doubt it ).



Thanks for any pointer !

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...