Sunday, July 16, 2017

13.04 - Using any nvidia-* package causes system to hang on boot

I'm using a GeForce GTX 660 on a custom built system. The nouveau driver works properly and I can use Ubuntu normally with it. However I'd like to use NVIDIA's driver.



I have not really found an official guide for this so I'm sort of winging it.



I've seen suggestions to install packages from Ubuntu Software Center, but nothing appears in the "Additional Drivers" tab, so I'm doing this all from apt.



I've attempted to install nvidia-304, nvidia-319 (the one I expect would work), and nvidia-331 (from xorg-edgers just for the hell of it). They all have the same result: after making my selection in grub, it behaves as though it's about to boot but hangs at a solid dark purple screen. If I remove 'quiet' from the boot parameters, it hangs at two brief messages citing which kernel it's loading. If I set vga=vesa:off I see the usual boot messages, though it hangs all the same with nothing of note in the logs.



My current kernel is 3.8.0-31-generic. Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...